Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Industries
American Auto Wire
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: Powerglide ?
PLS 
"8th Year" Silver Supporting Member
PLS
Loc: Smyrna, Georgia
Reg: 06-07-12
02-03-19 06:04 PM - Post#2758923    

Attachment: IMG_6291_-_Copy.JPG (707.3 KB) 21 View(s)

Attachment: IMG_6292.JPG (776.67 KB) 31 View(s)

As any of you guys that has restored a car and then started to drive it knows the more you drive the more little things begins to show up. After driving 100+ miles in the last week I have discovered a few things and I’m sure I will find more as I drive it more. But so far, the one that concerns me the most is the transmission. When I start off it will have a slight slip going from low to drive, probably 3 out of 5 times so since I’m aware of it I will sort of let off a little when it changes and it will go on into drive so I don’t want to drive it anymore until I have figured out the reason. The first thing that I did was check the fluid level or attempt to, what I mean by attempt is checking it with the engine running and hot the dip stick has the fluid splashed all over it without a definite level mark. I turned it off and immediately checked it again with the same results but figured the fluid got on the stick from the filler tube this time, I did check it numerous times. When I checked the ’58 Shop Manual it said to check it in “N” but I had been checking it in “P” really not sure what the difference is but this time there was a better defining mark and it was half way between the “full” line and “add” line. The stakes on the stick “C” is supposed to hold the little silver cap thing from moving down the stick but they aren’t doing their job, so I put “A” and “B” in place and hold them there while checking the fluid. The ’58 manual says “an oil level which is either too high or too low can be the cause of a number of abnormal conditions from excessive noise to slippage in all ranges” but this seems to not be my case. My next thought was to simply drain the fluid immediately after driving it and while it is at running temperature and add the correct amount to insure the sump was at the correct level but I can not find just how much that would be. The manual says that you can drain the sump then add 3 ½ qts., warm it up and add as necessary to get it to the full mark". It just seems that there would be a certain amount of fluid that would automatically bring it to the full mark like when you change the engine oil. Since it seems the fluid level is pretty close what would make it slip from low to drive? I know that this is long but trying to give all the info so that you may be able to help me. Thank you in advance, (I have seen some of the advice that has been given for an automatic transmission problems but that’s not an option for me ) Lamar

Edited by PLS on 02-04-19 06:06 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.266 seconds.   Total Queries: 14   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 12:59 AM